Recent blog posts
Actually, I got them rigged about two weeks ago. I'm so behind in posting!
Part of the delay was that I ordered blocks from Garhauer for these, but the ones I ordered, series 30, were vastly too big. I sent them back and ordered series 25 blocks instead. Garhauer was great about the exchange! I rigged the check stays the same day the new ones arrived. These are small and light, vastly better than those huge ones I had before.
Over the weekend, it just poured rain, especially Saturday. I went down to the boat Sunday afternoon to rig the Boom Kicker, and was very pleased to find the quarter birth perfectly dry! In fact, it seemed everywhere below was dry. I'm sure there are a few more small leaks somewhere, but overall, I'm pretty happy.
The blocks I ordered for the check stays arrived today, one day earlier than expected. They are really, really big. Probably too big. I might just send them back and get smaller ones...
Last night was the second to last EGYC Summer Series race. The wind varied from a low of about 7 knots to a high of not quite 11 knots, so a fairly light evening. There was a thunder storm inbound, so I was expecting the wind to kick up, but we got the race in and arrived back at the slip minutes before the downpour started.
We used the number 1 (155%) headsail and the .6oz spinnaker for the windward / leeward twice around course. We did pretty well, taking 4th of the 12 boats that showed up.
The check stays are not rigged yet, because I have been stalling on ordering the blocks. But I really need them, so I finally figured out what I need and ordered it today.
So, what do I need?
These pics were taken during the first sail with the new mast, a Tuesday night race with very light wind. Was the first sail being a race a good idea? No, of course not but it was coincidentally the first opportunity, so what the heck.
This is prior to any significant rig tuning. After these were taken the mast rake was changed dramatically forward and the back stay lengthened.
I don't think I ever posted about the big leak fix. In summary, over the quarter birth was a long piece of wood which sealed (or attempted to seal) a place where two pieces of plastic came together. well, it was leaking like a sieve so down came the wood. When i got the wood down, it was clear that these two pieces of plastic were supposed to be joined somehow. I have blogged about this before, so for more details check that out.
We had a guest crew member, Steve from Evolution Sails in Mystic, CT, came to come along, check out the mast and see how well the sails fit it.
We got to the race area a little late, but the engine at least worked fine. Getting there late caused our biggest problem of the night, more on that later. The wind was blowing pretty well, at 17 knots or better with pretty choppy seas. This would be the first time the new mast has been sailed in heavy air.
And the lesson on ordering a new water pump for a Yanmar 2GMF is... Make sure you order the right one. The "F" in 2GMF means fresh water cooled. For those unfamiliar with marine diesel engine (like me), a fresh water cooled engine is like a car, with fresh water coolant and anti-freeze. Unlike a car, there is no moving air to pass over a radiator, so instead the coolant is passed through a heat exchanger which is cooled by sea water. The sea water is pumped in from the bay through a seacock, through the heat exchanger, and then back off the boat.
On the way to the East Greenwich YC Annual Regatta, the water pump on my Yanmar 2GMF gave up its ghost. Another competitor was nice enough to come tow us to the start (thanks Vixen!). The replacement is on the way. We'll see if it arrives on time. Oh well!